Dr. Wong Su Ni
|Credentials||MBBS (Melbourne), MRCP (UK), MMed (Internal Med) (Singapore), FRCP (London), FAMS (Dermatology), FAADV|
|Language||English, Mandarin Chinese, Bahasa Indonesia, Cantonese Dialect|
A Ministry of Health-accredited Dermatologist, Dr Wong Su-Ni has been in private practice since 2006. Her subspecialties include Dermatologic & Laser Surgery, and Psoriasis & Photodermatology.
Formerly a Consultant Dermatologist at the National Skin Centre, Dr Wong was the Chief of the Psoriasis Unit then, and a dermatologic surgeon in the Laser and Dermatologic Surgery Unit. She has been Visiting Consultant to the Departments of Medicine at Alexandra Hospital and National University Hospital, and is currently a Visiting Consultant to the National Skin Centre.
Dr Wong graduated with a Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery from the University of Melbourne, Australia, in 1994, where she was awarded a Janet Clarke Hall Scholarship. In her final year there, she obtained a posting to Beijing Friendship Hospital to learn more about Traditional Chinese Medicine and its role in Western Medicine. After graduation, she worked at St Vincent’s Hospital, Melbourne, before returning to Singapore to continue her training in Internal Medicine. She obtained her Master of Medicine (Internal Medicine) and gained Membership to the Royal College of Physicians of the United Kingdom in 1999. After completing Advanced Specialist Training in Dermatology at the National Skin Centre, Singapore, she was accredited as a Specialist in Dermatology by the Specialist Accreditation Board and Singapore Medical Council in 2002. She was awarded Fellowship of the Academy of Medicine, Singapore in Dermatology in 2003 and Fellowship of the Royal College of Physicians of London in 2011.
With a natural affinity for languages, Dr Wong is effectively multilingual. Apart from being fluent in English, Mandarin, and Cantonese, with working knowledge of Malay, she has been awarded prizes by the Ministry of Education for French, and completed a course in Indonesian at the Horwood School of Languages at the University of Melbourne.
Besides her clinical work, Dr Wong has also published in peer-reviewed indexed medical journals, contributed a chapter to a textbook of laser and light dermatology, an atlas of dermatology, several chapters to handbooks on acne and aesthetic dermatological treatments, and presented posters as well as free papers at local and international conferences. A sought-after speaker, she has given lectures at local and regional congresses and symposiums, as well as public forums, on diverse topics ranging from phototherapy, biologics in psoriasis, to botulinium toxin, pigmentation, and aesthetic treatments.
Dr Wong has been actively involved in teaching, from medical students to medical practitioners and dermatology trainees. As President of the Dermatological Society of Singapore, she organises continuing medical education in Dermatology, as well as the Aesthetic Procedures Certification of Competence Course, initiated by the Ministry of Health to train and certify doctors, other than dermatologists and plastic surgeons, in simple aesthetic procedures.
A hectic work schedule does not impede Dr Wong from being involved in numerous committees and associations. She is currently Medical Consultant to Psoriasis Association of Singapore, Fellow of Chapter of Dermatology at the College of Physicians, Singapore, Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians (London), and Member of American Academy of Laser Medicine and Surgery. She also finds time to volunteer her services to her alma mater and Girls’ Brigade, and has been involved in medical mission work in Batam.
As in her professional and personal life, Dr Wong believes in holistic and balanced dermatological care, and aims to provide effective, evidence-based management of skin, hair and nails in a cost-effective manner.
PUBLICATIONS IN INDEXED MEDICAL JOURNALS:
• Goh CL, Noppakun N, Micali G, Azizan NZ, Boonchai W, Chan Y, Cheong WK, Chiu PC, Etnawati K, Gulmatico-Flores Z, Foong H, Kubba R, Paz-Lao P, Lee YY, Loo S, Modi F, Nguyen TH, Pham TL, Shih YH, Sitohang IB, Wong SN. Meeting the Challenges of Acne Treatment in Asian Patients: A Review of the Role of Dermocosmetics as Adjunctive Therapy. J Cutan Aesthet Surg. 2016 Apr-Jun;9(2):85-92
• Goh CL, Abad-Casintahan F, Aw DC, Baba R, Chan LC, Hung NT, Kulthanan K, Leong HN, Medina-Oblepias MS, Noppakun N, Sitohang IB, Sugito TL, Wong SN.
• Tey HL, Ee HL, Tan AS, Theng TS, Wong SN, Khoo SW. Risk Factors associated with having psoriatic arthritis in patients with cutaneous psoriasis. J Dermatol 2010 May; 37(5):426-30
• HL Ee, SN Wong, L Khoo, SH Tan. Bullae on the wrists of an 11-year-old boy–quiz case. Archive of Dermatology 2006; 142(4): 515-520
• SN Wong. What’s new in Phototherapy: old dogs, new tricks. NSC Bulletin of Dermatology 2006; 2:
• SN Wong.. Therapeutic guidelines – Psoriasis. NSC Bulletin of Dermatology 2006; 2:
• SN Wong, LSW Khoo. Analysis of photodermatoses in a predominantly Asian population at a photodermatosis clinic in Singapore. Photodermatol, Photoimmunol, Phototomed 2005;21(1):40-4
• SN Wong, Khoo SW. Chronic Actinic Dermatitis as the Presenting Feature of Human Immunodeficiency virus infection in 3 Chinese Males. Clinical & Experimental Dermatology 2003; 28(3):265-8
• SN Wong, Tay YK. Tufted Angioma: 3 case reports. Pediatric Dermatology 2002; 19(5): 388-93
• SN Wong, Chua SH. Spectrum of subepidermal immunobullous disorders seen at the National Skin Centre, Singapore. British J Dermatol 2002; 147: 1-5
• SN Wong, Giam YC. Marie-Unna Hypotrichosis in a Chinese Family. Pediatric Dermatology 2002; 19(3): 250-55
• SN Wong, SH Chua. Bullous pemphigoid seen at the National Skin Centre: a 2-year retrospective review. Ann Acad Med Singapore 2002; 31: 170-4
• SN Wong, Tan SH, Khoo SW. Late onset hydroa vacciniforme: 2 case reports. British J Dermatol 2001; 144: 874-877
• SN Wong, SW Khoo. HIV infection presenting with chronic actinic dermatitis. Ann Acad Med Singapore 2001; 30:664-7
PROFESSIONAL / ACADEMIC APPOINTMENTS:
2009- present Senior Consultant & Director, Dr SN Wong Skin, Hair, Nails & Laser Specialist Clinic
2007-2015 Visiting Consultant, National Skin Centre (NSC)
2006-2009 Consultant, Pacific Healthcare
2005-2006 Chief, Psoriasis Unit, National Skin Centre
2005-2006 Consultant, Laser, Aesthetic and Dermatologic Surgery Unit, NSC
2002-2006 Consultant, Photodermatology Unit, NSC
2002-2006 Clinical Tutor, National University of Singapore
2002-2006 Examiner, Final-Year Medical Students’ Dermatology Examination
2003-2006 Lecturer and Examiner, Diploma of Family Practice Dermatology
2004-2005 Visiting Consultant, Department of Medicine, Alexandra Hospital
2003 Visiting Consultant, Department of Medicine, National University Hospital
2002-2004 Associate Consultant, National Skin Centre
PROFESSIONAL ORGANISATIONS/ AFFILIATIONS:
2014- 2016 President, League of ASEAN Dermatological Societies
2014- 2016 Immediate Past President and Ex-Officio member of Executive Committee, Dermatological Society of Singapore (DSS)
2011 -2014 President, Dermatological Society of Singapore
2012- present Fellow, Asian Academy of Dermatology & Venereology
2011- present Council member, League of ASEAN Dermatological Societies
2011 -present Fellow, Royal College of Physicians, London
2006- present Member, American Society of Laser Medicine & Surgery
2005- present Medical Consultant, Psoriasis Association of Singapore
2002- present Fellow, Chapter of Dermatology, College of Physicians, Singapore
1999- present Member, Royal College of Physicians (UK)
WORKGROUPS, ADVISORY BOARDS, COMMITTEES AND OTHER CONTRIBUTIONS:
2017- present Course Director, Certificate of Competence Course in Lasers and Light for Pigmentation Disorders.
2014- present Co-Chairman, DSS Acne Advisory Board – formulating inaugural DSS Acne Therapeutic Guidelines
2013-2016 Co-Chairman, DSS Psoriasis Workgroup – developed inaugural DSS Psoriasis Management Guidelines, published July 2016
2013-present First Aid Trainer for 84th Singapore Company, Girls’Brigade
2006-present Asian Dermatologic Laser And Surgery (ADLAS) Study & Research Group – member
2013-2016 Chairman, Organising Committee, 22nd Regional Conference of Dermatology (Asian-Australasian), Singapore, 21-24 April 2016
2015 Member, Expert Panel for Asian Consensus Guidelines on Adjunctive Treatments in Management of Acne Vulgaris
2015 Acne Advisory Board, Menarini
2015 Ustekinumab in Psoriatic Arthritis Advisory Board, Janssen
2014 Chronic Urticaria Advisory Board and Psoriasis Advisory Board, Novartis
2014 Chairman and Co-organiser, DSS 1st Advanced Fillers Workshop, April 2014
2012-2014 South-East Asia Acne Study Alliance (SASA) – member.
Published regional guidelines for management of acne in 2015.
2011- 2014 Vice-chairman, Organising Committee, 22nd International Pigment Cell Conference, Singapore 2014
2012, 2014 Medical mission to Cambodia with Barker Road Methodist Church, Medical i/c 2014
2012-2013 Member, DSS website Editorial Committee – developed public education pages on www.dermatology.org.sg
2010 South-East Asia Network for Study of Atopic dermatitis (SENSA) – member
2010-2011 Chairman, Organising Committee, DSS 24th Annual Scientific Meeting 2011
2008-2009 Chairman, Organising Committee, DSS 22nd Annual Scientific Meeting 2009
2008- 2011 Vice-President, Dermatological Society of Singapore
2008-2014 Chaired and coordinated medical content of 4 public forums on skin care/ pigmentation/ skin ageing organized by Beiersdorf
2007-2008 Executive Committee, Dermatological Society of Singapore
2006 – 2007 Treasurer, Organizing Committee for 2nd Conference of Asian Society of Pigment Cell Research, held in Singapore in 2007
2005-2007 Honorary Treasurer, Dermatological Society of Singapore
2002-2004 Honorary Treasurer, Dermatological Society of Singapore
2005 – 2006 Guest Editor for NSC Bulletin of Dermatology 2006 Volume 2, featuring Photodermatology
2004 – 2006 Consultant in charge of NSC Library, facilitated online access to key journals
2001- 2006 NSC Bulletin of Dermatology Editorial Committee
2005 – 2006 Represented NHG HQ/ NSC in inter-institutional badminton (gold);
Represented Ministry of Health in inter-ministry badminton;
Represented Doctors in SMA inter-professional badminton
Aug 2004 Medical Mission to Batam with Tzu Chih Foundation
2001- 2003 Chairman, NSC Healthy Lifestyle Committee
2002- 2003 Member, National Healthcare Group Health Promotion Workgroup