Neurology (Brain & Nerves)
Services and Procedures
What is neurology and what are neurological conditions?
Have you ever experienced problems with memory or your senses? Have you or your loved ones had any trouble moving, speaking, or learning?
Neurological disorders affect parts of the nervous system, which can include the brain, spine, and nerves that connect them. There is a wide range of neurological diseases such as Parkinson’s disease, stroke, brain tumours, Alzheimer’s disease, and epilepsy.
Neurology is the branch of medicine practiced by neurologists that deals with the diagnosis and treatment of such disorders to help you manage these conditions.Request an appointment with a neurologist today.
When do you need to see a neurologist?
You may wish to consult a neurologist if you have experienced some of the following symptoms:
- Inability to move parts of your body
- Feelings of weakness or heaviness in limbs
- Problems walking or standing up
- Unusual sensations such as twitching, buzzing sensations, electric shock sensations
- Difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep
- Sleeping excessively but still feeling tired when you are awake
- Difficulty with speech such as slurring, stuttering, or mixing words up
- Persistent dizziness or headaches
- Unexplained persistent pain
- Loss of memory
A neurologist can diagnose patients who suffer from epilepsy, seizures, effects of brain or head injuries, dizziness, tumors, or sleeping problems.Enquire with our neurologists.
Why you should consider our neurologists in Singapore
Mount Elizabeth Medical Centre is equipped with technologically advanced systems that are able to accurately screen and diagnose neurological conditions affecting the brain, spine, nerves, and associated muscles. Home to some of the region’s most experienced neurologists and neurosurgeons, our doctors are skilled at delivering a comprehensive range of procedures which minimizes the risk of damage to important body functions.
Major Areas of Specialisation
Our team of neurologists have an extensive track record of diagnosing, treating, and rehabilitating neurological disorders. Using advanced technology and skills, our doctors are committed to helping you and your loved ones resume the life you love. Below are some conditions our specialists treat:
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Arteriovenous malformation (AVM)
- Brain aneurysm
- Brain tumor
- Computerised tomography (CT) Scan
- Dementia treatment
- Digital subtraction angiography (DSA)
- Electroencephalogram and Electromyography (EEG and EMG tests
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
- Movement disorders (e.g. dystonia, tremor)
- Nerve, neuro-muscular junction and muscle diseases
- Neurological diagnostic
- Neurodegenerative diseases
- Parkinson’s disease
- Positron emission tomography (PET) scan
- Sleep disorders
- Stroke treatment
- Transient ischemic attack
- Nerve conduction
- Evoked potential responses
- Magnetic stimulation
- Carotid duplex ultrasound
- Transcranial doppler studies
- Neuropsychological assessment, follow-up, and intervention
Did you know?
The human brain is approximately 2% of your total body weight, yet consumes around 20% of the body’s total energy and oxygen intake. The average brain weighs about 3 pounds, comprises 60% fat, and is believed to generate around 50,000 thoughts a day.