Services and Procedures
What are endocrinology and endocrinological conditions?
Endocrinology is the branch of medicine that deals with disorders of the body’s glandular or endocrine system and its secretions, which are known as hormones. Your body’s growth and development, mood, metabolism, and tissue function are all governed by the endocrine system, and it is also essential in regulating sexual function and reproductive processes.
The human body produces more than 50 different hormones. With that many, endocrine disorders are common, and occur in three different ways: hyposecretion, where glands do not produce enough hormones, hypersecretion, the opposite condition where hormones are overproduced, and tumors developing in the endocrine glands. A specialist in endocrinology can give you an accurate diagnosis on your specific condition.
When do you need to see an endocrinologist?
If you experience any of the following symptoms on a regular basis, you should consult an endocrinologist:
- Bulging, painful, dry, or irritated eyes
- Changes in muscle strength and tone
- Excessive hunger or thirst
- Frequent urination
- Goiter (enlarged thyroid gland)
- Hypoglycemia (low blood glucose)
- Movement disorders
- Muscle stiffness, weakness, and cramps
- Osteoporosis (thinning and weakened bones)
- Psychomotor retardation (slowing down of thoughts and movements)
- Severe, unexplained headaches
- Swollen hands, feet, nose, tongue, or lips
- Uncontrollable twitching, cramps, or spasms of the limbs or face
- Unexplained weight loss or gain
Endocrinologists diagnose a wide range of hormonal and endocrine issues, including those caused by diabetes and poor thyroid function. Note that the symptoms of an endocrine disorder vary widely and depend on the specific gland involved. For example weakness and frequent urination is associated with diabetes, while goiter is a symptom of poor thyroid function.
Although they originate in different parts of the body, both are endocrine disorders, since they affect the pancreas and the thyroid gland.
Why you should consider our endocrinologists in Singapore
Our endocrinologists have a combined total of several decades of experience both in Singapore and abroad, and they are equipped to examine, diagnose, treat, and rehabilitate you if you are suffering from endocrine and thyroid issues.
Mount Elizabeth Medical Centre’s endocrinologists are highly trained in patient care. You can feel comfortable discussing your medical concerns with any one of them; many of our patients have established long-term relationships with our doctors and specialists.
Depending on your condition, non-surgical treatments or minimally invasive surgery may also be recommended. Whether or not this is the case, you can feel confident that our experienced endocrinologists in Singapore can handle the most delicate of procedures.
Major Areas of Specialisation
The following are some conditions our endocrinologists treat. Our endocrinologists have the knowledge and skill to slow down the progress of your condition, alleviate pain, and treat you with careful diagnosis, clinical treatment, and rehabilitation. Enquire about how you or your loved ones can embark on the road to recovery and quickly return to your regular routine.
- Adrenal disorders
- Addison’s disease
- Adrenal tumour
- Benign thyroid nodules
- Calcium/Parathyroid disorders and osteoporosis
- Cholesterol problems
- Continuous glucose monitoring
- Cortisol excess or deficiency
- Cushing’s disease
- Diabetes screening and treatment
- Diabetes in pregnancy
- Diabetes insipidus
- Diagnosis and management of thyroid cancer
- Electrolyte problems
- Evaluation and management of osteoporosis
- Gestational diabetes
- General endocrinology
- Hormone excess or deficiency
- High cholesterol
- Hypothalamus, pituitary, and adrenal disorders
- Lipid/Cholesterol disorders
- Metabolic disorders
- Mineralocorticoid excess or deficiency
- Nutritional counseling
- Obesity and weight management
- Pituitary disorders
- Podiatry service
- Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome
- Reproductive disorders
- Retinal photography
- Type 1 and type 2 diabetes
- Specialized Endocrine Testing
- Thyroid Disorders
- Thyroid Fine Needle Aspiration
- Transplant Endocrinology
- Vascular and neurological assessment
Did you know?
The thyroid gland, the four parathyroid glands in the neck, the pineal gland, the adrenal glands, the ovaries and testes, and the pituitary gland are examples of endocrine glands.Request an appointment with an endocrinologist today.